[Openicc] Profiling software testing

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Mar 29 19:45:25 PST 2006

Wolf Faust posted the following in the LPROF sourceforge.net Help forum:

  As Hal Engel did ask for feedback and bug reports in the "Windows build?"
thread, here are some thoughts:

1. Fault tolerance: I haven't used the latest lprof version with the new
spline regression code. But I got some error values from argyl CMS users
using the same regression routines?? The extremly low error values reported
from ProfileChecker make me a bit sceptical if everything got better. While
the new spline regression routine surely brings many advantages, has anybody
looked at the fault tolerance of the approximation in practice? That is, how
does the new routine behaves if the target scan or reference file is slightly
faulty because of whatever reason: serious dust/scratches in the scan,
scanner noise, reproduction fault of the target, reproduction fault of the
measurement. I wonder if not bad noise is incorporated into the profile
seeing user reports from argyll CMS users with mean dE <0.35 on batch average
slide film targets.

I would recommend looking at what happens if one of the patches in the target
scan is bad and how it effects the profile.

2. When Marti (lprof), KWLee (iphoto) and I (ICS) developed our scanner
profilers, we shared some test scans in order to compare and test our
profilers. I also did collect target scans from ~20 scanners to test my
profiler with. Now that I can produce targets, I think there are better ways
to test profilers.

In order to test and compare profilers, I would strongly recommend generating
test data that covers most extreme cases. Let me make a suggestion: I am
willing to produce five 35mm individually measured slides. I would suggest on
the new Velvia filmes with extreme color gamut. One slide is a standard IT8
target and the four other slides are >1000 test patches spreaded all over the
RGB space and also covering tricky areas (high saturated colors, colors near
DMin/DMax,...).

Let us find 7-8 users of the current popular scanners (Nikon, Minolta, Epson
flatbeds, Imacon, and a drum scanner) and I send the slides to these users
for scanning. This data should be sufficient to test most (not all) color
quality issues of the profiler.

I have used this method here for testing a number issues. If the appoximation
is smooth, has a good fault tolerance and the 1000 patches show low error
values... than I guess one can assume the profiler does work very good... but
this is not easy achive with slide films ;-9

PS: We should find the scanner users within the next 2 weeks as I will run a
Velvia 100 production here and have some free film areas left to produce such
things...

You can view the thread here
http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3658592

This struck me as a very good idea and I would like to pursue this.   Is
anyone here interested in assisting with this by providing high quality scans
from the custom slides that Wolf is willing to produce for this effort?