[Openicc] Open Source compatible AdobeRGB profile

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Jul 7 05:57:16 PDT 2006

Am 07.07.06, 16:18 +0400 schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:

> On 7/7/06, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
> > Graeme is more quick, than take these. compatibleWithAdobeRGB.icc will be
> > includeed in the Oyranos profile collection package to make it available
> > at /usr/share/color/icc on linux systems.
>
> Any chance we create a repository of free ICC profiles?

Yes of course. Some are allready available in a debian package and in
Oyranos (tgz and rpm).
Some have propriarity licenses some are more free. The are all available
for free.
see for instance: http://www.oyranos.org/#download

IMHO the main point for standard OS profiles is
A: to be certain to the extent of identity (not creative)
B: are they available out of charge?

The in Oyranos collected profiles are both.
The freedom provided is not the one you would prefere. Nevertheless tt is
a reasonable freedom accepted by many users. Please, dont confuse the
situation with the one arround Pantone spotcolours. Thats very different.

So, for instance, having the ECI ones with a Heidelberg license, which
prohibits reusing the tables, is a non issue. One can easily recreate the
profiles from the freely available measurements. The Heidelberg ones are
considered very good if not the best ones. It is not easy to substitute in
the mind of the users.

It is vital to have the _one_ identical profile and dont use substitutes.
As long as we can, the original profiles are prefered. AdobeRGB is
only an exception due to licensing.

If you want to have nice profiles you are free to create them. The tools
are available. I am shure Graeme and Marti will assist you.

I thought about to include the measurements into Oyranos to let advanced
users play with black generation curves via argyll. Still on the
thinkboard. But I would not call such profiles standard, more resampled.

                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas
                                + email: ku.b at gmx.de
                                + http://www.behrmann.name