CMM support (Was: Re: [Openicc] google SoC starts)

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere at teaser.fr
Sat Feb 17 21:15:24 PST 2007

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> From what I remember by doing an interview with Scribus guys, they are
> planning to abstract color management and make it possible to use
> various CMM on various OSes. I fail to see why someone good at Adobe's
> CMM would want to reject using it from Scribus ;-)

Scribus is GPL, right? Does that CMM involve linking (even indirectly)
to it? If yes then that is problem. Even more since Scribus use Qt....
(just expressing my opinion here)

> I certainly would welcome Adobe's CMM on Linux at least because that
> would make Adobe Reader be color managed. Especially if it supported
> OpenIcc initiative ;-)

But with the comment above, if its license is non compatible GPL
applications like Krita and The Gimp won't be able to use it.

Note: nobody would be prevented to install it anyway, it is
redistributing it within a distribution or something....

Just think about it. Licensing still take an important part of the
decision process.

Now if Adobe wants to release that software under a license that is GPL
compatible, why not :-)

Hub