[Openicc] measurement device API

Gerard Klaver gerard at gkall.hobby.nl
Fri Mar 16 03:34:38 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 11:56 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 08.03.07, 12:36 +0300 schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
>
> > On 3/8/07, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > > What about a measurement device API for a GSoC project?
> > >
> > > Each application with measurement capabilities uses its own driver API,
> > > which is a waste of resources.
> > > Measurement applications could use a standard API as it is common
> > > practice for other devices. This API does not yet exist.
> > >

> > > A API for something like asking for adapted devices, select and run
> > > mesurements with a device could be created. A license compatibility
> > > module
> > > must be included to avoid GPL - closed source and similiar conflicts.
> > > Is someone interessted to work as a mentor?
> >
> > What project should send such an application?
>
> OpenICC of course, thats why I sent it here.
>
> > What license would you pick?
>
> Preferedly as on the GSoC site stated:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIccForGoogleSoC2007
>
> > Who will be mentoring the project?
> >
> > Who will be organization administrator and backup organization administrator?
>
> Is'nt the question already about organising?
> If you mean you miss a positive signal: I could provide backup.
>

> Possibly I did not quite get the sense of your mail?
>
> regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann
> --
> development for color management
> www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org

I bought recently a Colorvision Spyder2express, some win tests done,
Yan Ke ( http://www.yan-ke.com/spyder/ )  is working on a driver.

Reason for this email is that a large part of the device interface i
expect can be handeled by the SANE backend api. Using this can speed up
development for color meters a lot.

The frontend programs like LPROF, ARGYLL using the SANE API are then
able to get the data from the color meters.
(each different color on screen is a scan for the color meter).

--
--------
m.vr.gr.