[Openicc] [argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 15 04:53:16 PST 2008

Am 15.01.08, 07:10 -0500 schrieb Robert Krawitz:

> That's correct -- I don't have the measurement hardware (nor do I
> actually have every single printer, although I do have representative
> samples of most of the newer Epsons).

Once you can measure, the calibrations could greatly improve. If I
understand correctly you do a basic calibration anyway. The next minor
step is to create a profile.
I'd like to add, as hardware I thought of a automatic xy chart table.
Such device allowes to place the printed, dry chart on the table, tell
about start and end points and continue with other things until the
measurements are finished.

> That's also what I'd rather be doing.  In this particular case, I'd
> rather add the necessary features to Gutenprint to allow people who do
> have the hardware and expertise in this area to create and publish
> these profiles, and for users to use them easily.

Yes of course should experts be able to create own profiles. I think
about good defaults. It is much expected to print in sRGB or apply the
necessary conversions. Without any knowledge about the printer
characteristic in the driver, this is complete nonsense.

You already tried to keep the colour rendering stable or inform about it.
Thats a good direction.
The next step of colour support could be to provide conversion or
reversive profiles after changing the drivers colouring. This would help
in using older profiles for newer drivers. The profiles must not at all be
ICC, but a somehow documented format with the according values.

I am still working on the device settings in ICC profile side. Then we
should agree about a way to communicate calibration states and influence
them in a hopefully generic way. This should be the time where installing
of ICC profiles would become much easier with the appropriate
applications. To promise not too much, decission would still be needed to
match the paper and possibly inksets and walk to the right web site for
the downloads.