[Openicc] ALL YOU NEED IS A PROFILE, THE MYTH. (WAS CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin)

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:35:36 PST 2008

Exactly. And the guys who write the halftoning algorithms, and the
guys who package things need to have non-regression image test suites,
and instrumentation preferably of the automatic sort to enforce the
stability checks every time they change someting in the software and
prepare to release the update. My thought is that at some point a
trick will need to be found to "cast in stone" the rendering to paper
from existing versions of software, because users will not understand
it if they need to redo all their ink curves and profiles every time
they update their Linux boxen.

The solution I recommend to the stability problem is not a repository,
it is a virtual appliance, a virtual RIP server distribution as a
Vmware or Xen or Qemu virtual machine, which can have a "version
number" and can be certified as tested. Users can then just download
this virtual appliance, run it in their environment where it will do
all the ink and paper stuff, and feed it color managed files and maybe
some additional custom profiles or special curves as data from their
-separate- desktop environment.

Edmund