[Openicc] ALL YOU NEED IS A PROFILE, THE MYTH... linearization / G7

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Jan 17 11:23:43 PST 2008

hello list,
I agree with edmund, that good linearization is the most important basis
for good results in printing.
As in a former mail, i strongly recommend to look at G7-process from
IDEAlliance / GRACoL as target values and method for linearization. This
will lead to a gradation and gray balance which is very similar to SWOP
TR001, GRACoL2006coated and ISOcoated_v2/FOGRA39 the worldwide most
important standards for CMYK-data.

for sRGB-data standard settings, it would be possible to use a
standard-conversion sRGB->SWOPTR001 or littlebit better
sRGB->GRACoLcoated without the need for individual printer profiles

For the  CMYK-data standard-settings it would be possible to deliver a
standard conversion e.g. SWOP->SWOP_GCR only for applying GCR and
Inklimit without changing the color appearance.

Combined with tools for optimal (re)-linearization based on G7, we could
handle the most important steps for predictable color in printing
without the need of dozens of profiles for differnt papers. Tools for
(re)-linearization should also include procedures for checking the
actual linerization (by comparison to a printers sample or masuring with
a i1 spectrophotometer)

ON TOP of (re)-linearized system we can talk about standard printer
profiles for different types of paper and the possibility to integrate
individual printer profiles.

Regards
Jan-Peter