[Openicc] ALL YOU NEED IS A PROFILE, THE MYTH. (WAS CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin)

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 18 05:37:44 PST 2008

   Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:28:11 +0100
   From: "edmund ronald" <edmundronald at gmail.com>

   I think it's time to help me explain to the Gutenprint/CUPS crowd
   that they now have working drivers which the domain experts can
   improve themselves IF GIVEN THE ABILITY TO DO SO. Which means
   parameters OUTSIDE the C code.

   Which means that hard-coded stuff inside the C files should be
   deprecated, and a documented CENTRAL FILE containing all ink and
   dot-related parameters should be made available, AT LEAST FOR
   EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES so people can construct and experiment with
   front-ends eg. GUIs and with the parameters which make the existing
   engine work best. Oh, and by the way there is such a thing as XML
   which has been created exactly for this purpose of creating
   portable (parameter) files which are both machine readable and
   human debuggable.

As an alternative that would be easier to implement, let me propose
this:

1) Make the drop size and subchannel strengths accessible as
   Gutenprint parameters, and document them.

2) Document the file format for a particular RIP (Alastair, would
   PhotoPrint be reasonable for this purpose?  What are your plans for
   curves?)

3) Allow Gutenprint to at least read curves from PPD files, or read
   file names containing curves from said PPD files.

4) Document more clearly what the key ink-related parameters do.

Would that be good enough?

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton