[Openicc] New options on the mainline

"Gerhard Fürnkranz" nospam456 at gmx.de
Tue Jan 22 11:50:49 PST 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:00:15 +1100
> Von: Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com>
> An: OpenICC Liste <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Betreff: Re: [Openicc] New options on the mainline

> A second issue is that getting density readings either
> requires a dedicated densitometer, or a spectrometer.
> [...]

I also understand that the spectral filter sensitivities for density readings are only standardized for CMY and visual densities, or did I miss anything? But then density is rather not applicable to e.g. orange, green, blue, red inks of multicolor printers anyway.

> [...]
> Define "maximally adjustable". I think you'll find that if you
> think this through, it ends up being "visual errors minimized by
> making visual changes correspond to device value changes".
>
> Graeme Gill.

This becomes for instance evident, if one plots L* vs. D(vis) for a gray wedge. In particular for densities beyond 1.5...2, the relationship between L* and D(vis) gets pretty steep, and the 1st and 2nd derivatives increase further, when density increases further. E.g. if density increases by 25% from 2.0 to 2.5, then the corresponding L* becomes only a hand-full of L* units darker - so in this example 1/5 of the 0...2.5 density range is "wasted" to control only a little bit more than 5% on the visual scale.

Regards,
Gerhard