[Openicc] Fwd: linearisation targets, Argyll, G7

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Jan 24 21:02:57 PST 2008

edmund ronald wrote:

> The user model may be RGB or CMYK, but the printer runs natively in
> CcMmYKk space or something like that. The purpose of the basic
> linearization is to establish what the abilities of the individual
> ink-guns are - eg before even the crossover point between K and k gets
> defined. Thus, measuring the ink-flow out of each *ink-gun* is what a
> linearisation tool should allow the user to do first, eg. with a step
> chart for k and a different one for K, and one for both C and c.

Agreed.

 > The
> values here will assist the user in setting up; heuristically, the ink
> curves by means of an interactive tool which needs to be constructed.

I think it may be possible to setup light ink separation without
having to resort to an interactive tool.
The type of thing I've done in the past is to fully model
and characterize the light & dark ink interaction (ie. a 2D
model of light + dark, a 3D model for light-light, light + dark),
and then the separation can be computed with basic parameters
controlling its characteristic (ie. maximum total ink,
crossover width, crossover point etc.)