[Openicc] Drop size calibration

Roy Harrington roy at harrington.com
Sun Jan 27 17:37:23 PST 2008

Hi Robert,
As far as I can tell your method is matching the density of a 10% large dot
with
say a 20% small dot.  But in a real print the transition from small dot to
large
dot happens at a much higher percentage -- say 100% small to 50% large.
So while it would seem that mathematically its the same thing, the
non-linearity
of dot gain makes a difference.  Small dots have more relative dot gain than
larger dots because the circumference to area ratio is larger.  I suspect
this is
a least one factor causing your "larger" small dots.

I think you can use the same idea but make the constant strip 100% small dot
and
the gradient strip the large dot.  This is basically what I measure.  I like
your idea about making the different ranges for each dot size, I may have
to try something similar.  (I've been using an environment variable to force
single dots but this requires 3 print jobs not 1).

Roy