[Openicc] inner versus outer ICC profile names

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 29 09:26:42 PST 2008

Am 29.01.08, 09:14 -0800 schrieb Hal V. Engel:

> I had not even considered it at this level but I agree.  As an example LProf
> has it's own custom widgets for selecting ICC profiles and CGATS files.  The
> CGATS widgets are probably too specialized to be part of a general widget set
> but it would make sense to have a widget like LProf's ICCProfileSelector be
> part of a tool kit like Qt or Gtk.
>
> For those who have not looked at this widget it presents a list of profiles to
> the user based on the content of the profiles (IE. the description embedded
> in the profile).  This is how commercial programs like photoshop and the
> Microsoft Color Control Panel applet list profiles for users to select.  Many
> of our current open source color management aware applications are still
> presenting users with lists of files rather than lists of profiles in part I
> suspect because implementing a widget like LProf uses is not trivial.  If the
> various tool kits had this type of widget it would help everyone improve this
> aspect of our application suit.
>
> I am sure that we could come up with other examples of usefull CM specific
> widgets or CM extensions to existing widgets as well.

My feeling is that, the users connection of a profiles selected by its
inner name in a profile widget and the same in a file browser is
easily broken.

Therefore I'd rather fix the profile choices to pure outer names and omit
the inner description in lists with a single name per profile.

Hope it was ok to change to subject line,