[Openicc] inner versus outer ICC profile names

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Jan 31 09:25:23 PST 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 21:45:23 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 30.01.08, 12:16 -0800 schrieb Lars Borg:
> > In the more general case, you have to deal with embedded profiles with no
> > file name.
> >
> > Thus, for consistency use primarilly the internal names.
>
> Well, I must have overseen this case in my argumentation.
>
> As we will have many applications using one name to show the profile, the
> internal one, the only way I see is to keep both names the same.
>
> Graeme and Hal,
> what does you think about a default behaviour of your profilers to write
> the desc description tag in default mode as the file name? Ideally a
> divergine desc name would be a exotic thing.

LProf currently has a default description which is basically a warning that
the description needs to be changed.  If the user tries to create a profile
with this default description it pops up a warning dialog and strongly
suggests that it be changed.

Since the warning feature is new and there is also new logic doing checks to
make sure that the file name is valid (IE. the file ends in .icc or .icm and
the location is one the user can write to and so on) this could be farther
enhanced if it would be useful.  I think having the description default to
the file name might be useful but I need to be careful to make sure that I
don't clobber a description that has been entered by the user and I think I
would still issue a warning if the user tried to use the file name derived
description.

I often use fairly long detailed descriptions in my profiles that are very
different from the files names and I find this very useful.

> My intention for checking profiles would be to declare divergine
> inner/outer names as faulty.

I don't think this is faulty.  The purpose of the inter name is to allow for
meaningful naming of the profile not to duplicate the file name.  Many if not
most of the profiles out in the wild will have different inner/outer names.
After all someone could go into a file manager and simply change the file
name of a profile and this would result in that profile becoming "faulty".  I
don't think this is good as a general policy and no CMM anywhere else does
this.

> Oyranos will offer an option to move the file
> name to the inner description tag on repairing faulty profiles.

I think the reason that this is even an issue is that we have many open source
apps that have diverged from accepted pratice and are using file names in the
UI rather than the description from the profile.  This is what we need to fix
and not descriptions that are different from the file name.

Hal