[Openicc] inner versus outer ICC profile names

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 11:32:26 PST 2008

Hi,

Hal V. Engel wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 21:45:23 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> I often use fairly long detailed descriptions in my profiles that are very
> different from the files names and I find this very useful.

Likewise.  For one thing, I tend to include the creation date.  While
the two should "match", it can't be relied upon to be an exact rather
than fuzzy match.

> I think the reason that this is even an issue is that we have many open source
> apps that have diverged from accepted pratice and are using file names in the
> UI rather than the description from the profile.  This is what we need to fix
> and not descriptions that are different from the file name.

PhotoPrint using filenames rather than inner names was originally a
performance thing - I didn't want to have to open every single profile
in the search paths just to display them in the widget.

That rationale no longer holds however, because they have to be opened
anyway to filter them by colourspace, so I think I shall move to
displaying the Inner name by preference, and making sure the filename is
available as a tooltip.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson