[Openicc] Drop size calibration

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 2 15:13:22 PST 2008

   From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel at astound.net>
   Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:49:52 -0800

   On Saturday 02 February 2008 05:50:27 Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
   > On 2/2/08, Robert Krawitz > wrote:
   > > The basic way I would do it in both cases would be to print a linear
   > > sweep and try to find a best fit constant that would relate the two
   > > curves, or at least the lower part of the curves before dot
   > > gain/saturation issues started to come into play (particularly for
   > > variable drops).
   > >
   > > Maybe I really do need a spectrometer...
   >
   > If so, there is a new rebate going on in US if you live there.
   > http://xritephoto.com/html/i1Photo_LT_Rebate_Cert3.pdf
   >
   > Relatives in US picked up mine up last summer with an similar  rebate
   > from this ebay seller:
   > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150211241322
   > In the ends it was around $500. In Norway a colorimeter from xrite are
   > more than that.

   One other possibility is to look for a discontinued but new device
   on ebay.  I got my DTP20 uv on ebay for $220.  This device was new
   old stock that was being purged from inventory.  So it includes the
   one year warranty from X-Rite.  I also see lots of DTP41 meters on
   ebay for reasonable prices although these seem to go for more than
   the hand held devices like the DTP20 and you would likely want to
   send it back to X-Rite to be recalibrated since any of these on
   ebay will not be new.  However they are built like tanks and are
   generally well cared for since they were very expensive,
   approx. $2500, when new.

   I occasionally see re-branded EyeOne Pros on ebay as well.  A few
   weeks ago there was an EyeOne Pro that had HP labeling.  It was in
   unused condition and included a bunch of accessories and software
   and sold for $153.

I need to find something that works with Linux; I don't have a Windows
system and have no intention of getting one.  Getting the software to
run under Wine would probably be a real hassle.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton