[Openicc] Drop size calibration

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:13:42 PST 2008

It would appear that Barbieri see themselves as a pure manufacturer of
hardware -not software- and would like to set open interface
specifications and export measurements a L*a*b* values, but
unfortunately some of their "firmware" runs on the host platform and
they cannot expose the source to this code  for a reason which I
haven't been told. As we clearly have a device manufacturer
sympathetic to the needs of the open source community here, and who
even says good things about argyll, I think we shouldn't scare them
off, and rather help them actively pursue a solution that would help
the userbase.

As for my virtual box solution, I don't think communicating with the
outside world is hard - if you go to the VMware site you will see a
lot of virtual appliances that implement things like Apache, MySQL or
LAMP and communicate very nicely with the nearby world via TCP/IP,
while guaranteeing the user a stable, tested and preconfigured version
of the target software. I don't think that exposing a port and an HTTP
server that can be sent a request, maybe upload a target definition
file,  and sends back a file with measurements is that hard in 2008.

Edmund