[Openicc] Drop size calibration

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Feb 4 15:17:40 PST 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 12:13:42 edmund ronald wrote:
> It would appear that Barbieri see themselves as a pure manufacturer of
> hardware -not software- and would like to set open interface
> specifications and export measurements a L*a*b* values, but
> unfortunately some of their "firmware" runs on the host platform and
> they cannot expose the source to this code  for a reason which I
> haven't been told.

Much of the hardware that is out there now (not just these measurement
devices) have significant functionality implemented in software on the host
machine.  This is true for the EyeOne devices and it appears to be the case
with the Barbieri hardware.  These bits of code are the "secrets" that the
vendors are trying to hide and protect in the device interface
libraries/drivers and this functionality is probably only about 5% to 10% of
the code in the library.  In the past hardware vendors would have implemented
this same functionality directly in the hardware.  By moving this to the host
computer they reduce the cost of producing the hardware significantly and
they gain the flexibility of being able to improve the "firmware" by simply
creating new versions of the interface library/driver that have improved code
for this functionality.

The underlaying issue that we are dealing with is that none of these vendors
have figured out how to hide these details in an open environment and this is
something that we need to work with them to resolve.  Either there is some
way that will allow them to continue to hide these details without being too
expensive or they need to come to grips with working out in the open.

We have seen this same issue with other vendors for other classes of hardware
in the past.   A number of these vendors have decided to work in the open and
none have suffered any ill effects from doing so.   If anything exactly the
opposite has been true since the open source community embraces any company
that takes this route.   But most hardware companies have an initial mind set
that prevents them from embracing working out in the open because they have
convinced themselves that they will be harmed by doing this even if there is
no evidence that this is in fact the case.

> As we clearly have a device manufacturer
> sympathetic to the needs of the open source community here, and who
> even says good things about argyll, I think we shouldn't scare them
> off,  and rather help them actively pursue a solution that would help
> the userbase.

I agree 100%.