[Openicc] Questions about color pickers and graphics libraries under LINUX

Chris Murphy chris at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 12 17:08:55 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>   Of course the existence
> of wide gamut displays only makes the lack of system wide color
> management
> all the more apparent.  Which is the point I think you are trying
> to make
> when writing about this newer hardware.

Yes :-)

> It is great to hear that Firefox 3 has functional color
> management.  This is a
> big plus for the open source community and it shows that we can
> lead the way
> forward.

I would like to see it on by default. But apparently the development
teams for both Firefox and webkit are reluctant to do this because of
the discrepancy it would cause with Flash content. I think their
concern is not trivial, but so far have not had any luck getting a
response out of the Flash development team at Adobe as to their plans
for finally bringing Flash up to the current century when it comes to
color management. It would be nice to have tagging of content, but I
suspect most content creators aren't going to know what to do with
that. In the short term it seems like hard coding a conversion from
sRGB to display RGB is the way to do it.

> Now we need to work with the X.Org and
> various window manager/desktop environment teams to get this issue
> handled on
> that level.

I think that's a very powerful thing if it happens. Just make color
management work. The less UI we have for necessary functionality, the
better. HDR displays are appearing now. The adoption rate may be slow
at first, but when people start seeing HDR capture on these displays,
it's really stunning. Scene-referred captures on a scene-referred
display!