[Openicc] Promoting colormanagement for LINUX

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Feb 13 01:33:44 PST 2008

Hello list,

Following the discussion on this list the last years, I see that
colormanagement under LINUX is now entering the mass market:

- LCMS is established as standard CMM for LINUX applications
- The first mass market applications like e.g. Firefox are now
colormanagement aware
- monitor profiling solutions like e.g. Argyll / LProf are available by
reverse engineering of the measurement device drivers
- Big players like e.g. Apple integrate OSS solutions into Mac OSX /
Apple applications e.g:
    - CUPS
    - Gutenprint
    - Parts of the Safari engine
    - (and several more...)

What could be the next steps:

1) Making the openICC wiki the first adress for best practice in OSS
colormanagement
-----------------------------------
- OSS developers should find all necessary informations at the openICC
wiki to know what steps they have to go in general to make their
application CM aware
- developers of applicatios, which are already CM aware should describe
how they have implemented it in general, and which libraries, code
snippets are available for other developers
- testfiles and test procedures for validating CM functionality in apps
should be available via the open ICC-wiki

2) Influencing KDE and trolltech
-------------------------------------
(Please correct me, if i´m technically wrong in the following statement...)
KDE and trolltech/QT are very important organisations / companies for
the LINUX community. If colormanagement is good integrated into their
libraries / apps, it will make it much easier for other OSS developers
to use just this libraries / apps to make their own projects
colormanagement aware.

As the firefox team has managed to implement colormanagement, also KDE
will have to do this for Konqueror and KParts in future. Especially if
KParts will be colormanagement aware, this will be a real big step for
all OSS vendors reusing KParts into their applications.

As more or less all the KDE projects based on QT, a good colormanagement
implementation in KDE projects will automatically enhance the
colormanagement capatibilities of QT and so all OSS projects, which are
using QT.

Proposal:
Using the OpenICC wiki to make the usage of color in QT and some
representative KDE projects transparent. I would recommend to
concentrate on Konqueror as file browser and Krita as one of the leading
CM aware applications in the KDE universe.
The goal of this actions should be a good integration of LCMS into QT,
support for embedded profiles in QT pixmaps and vector objects, getting
the monitor profile from X11 / Oyranos in QT and the colormanagement of
pixmaps and vector objects from the embedded profile to the
monitor-profile into QT.

To make the OpenICC and this mailinglist more public, we can reference
in the next steps in wikipedia in the KDE, QT, colormanagement etc.
topics to the openICC wiki and the mailinglist.

-----

What do the others in this list think about this proposal ?

Regards
Jan-Peter

--
***********   Neue Adresse / new adress   ************