[Openicc] Promoting colormanagement for LINUX

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Wed Feb 13 20:13:47 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> I think that we need to keep in mind that all of these DEs and
> widget sets are
> built on top of X11 and that X11 is the software layer that is
> common to all
> DEs and window managers in the open source arena.  Anything that is
> done to
> improve CM in X11 benefits all of these tools where as improvements
> made in
> KDE or Gnome or QT or GTK... only benefit a subset of users/
> applications.

GTK+ (and Qt to a large degree) are not so tied to X11. Qt has strong
Windows and Mac support, though KDE not so much (That is, KDE apps
are more likely to be running on top of X11 than Qt apps in general).

With GTK+, the userbase of Windows users is quite high. Also, the
native OS X implemention of GTK+ is now very close to practical and
many are really looking forward to using that. Then there is the
DirectFB layer for GTK+, etc. And now that Trolltech has been bought,
their non-PC support might also increase.

So for open source applications, non-X11 support is still significant.

However I definitely agree that KDE and Gnome are too high-level to
provide much support to applications. Perhaps a multi-layered view is
best, with different functionality living at different levels.