[Openicc] L* was: MS on HDR CMS :)

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Fri Feb 15 01:26:32 PST 2008

Hello list, hello chris,
Assumptions about the design of colormanagement workflows need always to
be tested in practice. The idea behind L* workingspace and monitor
calibration is to use the same lightness scaling as in the profile
connection space L*a*b*

To analyze the differences from L* to Gamma 1,8 and 2,2 just do
following tests:

1) Convert a scale with 256 steps of L*a*b* gray to RGB-workingspaces
with Gamma of 1,8 and 2,2 and look about the resulting steps in RGB
2) Convert a scale with 256 steps of RGB Gamma 1,8 and 2,2 to L*a*b*and
look about the resulting steps in L*a*b*

As the ICC colormanagement is based on L*a*b* as profile connection
space, I think it is good strategy just to test if a L* RGB workingspace
and monitor calibration has some advantages.

As a colormanagement consultant, I´m not a religious fighter for L*.
For users dealing mainly with sRGb and Adobe RGB images on monitors
without hardware calibration, I recommend strongly AdobeRGB as main
workingspace and monitor calibration with Gamma 2,2.

But I also think, that possible adavantages of L* workingspace and L*
monitor-calibration should be tested in practice and also be analyzed
with scientific research.

Regards
Jan-Peter

--