[Openicc] ICC platform signature

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Feb 26 17:29:41 PST 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 03:32:27 Graeme Gill wrote:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > I have seen the '*nix' signature in Argyll profiles. Is this something to
> > propose to ICC?
>
> It's an Argyll (icclib) extension. The ICC platform tags don't seem to be
> keeping very current.
>
> Graeme Gill.

At this point LProf uses the lcms defaults for the platform tags in profiles.
This sets it to icSigMacintosh if the platform is not Windows and
icSigMicrosoft otherwise.

As far as I can see there is no way to over ride it without modifying the
code.  I am not sure that there is a need to do anything else since as far as
I can tell this tag is not used for anything.

I am wondering why this tag even exists.  Aren't ICC profiles supposed to be
platform independent?

Hal