[Openicc] License for redistributable profiles

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Mar 1 11:56:52 PST 2008

Am 01.03.08, 13:19 -0600 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Why do you care about Creative Commons?
> >
> > I found there a  license, which seem to cover most of the rquirements I
> > discussed offline:
> > o prevent misuse of the logos and names of a vendor
> > o prevent naming confusion (much of what is in ZLIB's license)
> > o keep the original authorship intact
>
> Profiles are often inserted in image files and documents, and quite often
> without the knowledge of someone using/copying those files and documents.
> These images and files are often placed on web sites which use other licenses.
> If someone was to extract a profile from an image or document, then they might
> have comitted an offense unless they used the officially prescribed name.  I
> don't see this this critical issue addressed in your above list.

Well modifying is a requirement of most distributions to open the doors
for content. I was never keen on such a condition. Without that Oyranos
had one problem less for distribution.

Embedding is considered quite ok for profiles. The point is if someone
starts to modify the profile, then opinions diverge. Someone who edits
profiles by hand should be aware of the copyrigth tag. Automatic edits
are more difficult as soon as the colorimetric parts and copyright/author
tags and fields are affected.

> For example, if the profiles were GPL licensed, then the image/document the
> profile was inserted in would then need to be copied according to the GPL
> license, referencing the GPL and the COPYING license statement.

Other than the free form license tag there is nothing inside a profile
about licensing. Your above example would need some form of automatic
recognition or homogenous sources. The last route is targeted by
Linux distributors.

But I still would like to keep the license as simple as possible.
Any suggestion in this direction would be appreciated.
Considering the fuzziness of user decissions, pure commercial as well as
copyleft style licenses may cause trouble.

As a profile can be copied with the content, I see no practical reason to
be sceptical. The proposed licenses are compatible. Thats probably the
most important point for embedding into images and distribution.