[Openicc] 2008 Google SoC preparations

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Mar 2 11:40:31 PST 2008

Am 02.03.08, 11:17 -0800 schrieb Hal V. Engel:
> I would like to participate and my student from last year has been asking me
> about this and is also interested.

Fine.

> I am not sure who else should/could be involved.  Last year we had a fairly
> good cross section of projects but perhaps we can expand that this year.   I
> think we just need to get the wiki page up and let people start adding stuff.
> We can always trim it back if we need to but I don't think this will be an
> issue.

My other email tries to interesst new people.

> Also perhaps we could get someone from one or more of the DE projects to be
> part of getting Oyranos in a position to be usable for the DEs and perhaps
> even implement a prototype DE implementation of this functionality.
>
> I also think we need to talk about what should be on the wiki page.  One of
> the issues we ran into last year was that some students seemed to pink
> projects that were clearly over their heads.  So I think that we need to have
> info in these project entries that indicates what education/experience level
> is needed for each project.  That way we shouldn't have lower division
> undergrads applying for projects that really are post graduate level.

This may be a point.
On the other side we meet people who tried to hit our expectations like a
feather. Such people might hang on our lips to get our vote, but dont
think further.
I'd more rely on requiring indepth involvement, like building something
and giving feedback about the task. The objections, a student then makes,
can very clearly guide us in out decission. This excludes copy'n paste.

> I also think we need to have a section to provide some guidance to students
> concerning our expectations on the applications and the application process.
> Perhaps we can reduce the number of copy and paste type applications and get
> more applications that can be seriously considered.   The same thing also
> applies to expectations for the period between students being selected and
> the beginning of the actual project work.

Yes, I'd like to pick Boudewijns suggestion and communicate almost on a
emaillist. Beside transparency, we can require a *nix environment as
fallback. Eigther a student shows she/he can build open source libraries
on Xcode/VC or we make a call to use Linux/BSD. The later are regulary
to meet among all sort of developers.

> I was also thinking that perhaps I could arrange to speak at some computer
> science classes at the local college and perhaps get more students to put in
> proposals as well.  If everyone did that we should see a significant increase
> in student applications and that means more slots from Google as well as more
> options for us to choose from.

Good idea.