[Openicc] diagramming status

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:52:45 PST 2008

I don't think it fair to say that Xrite is interested - it would be
more accurate to say that *I personally* am interested in defining a
platform-agnostic device interface, and Xrite and Barbieri like
exploring the idea I presented, I have been talking to them and other
vendors about some specs, and the hardware vendors are prepared to
donate some hardware to further this effort.

This idea of open interface comes from the discussions we had earlier
on list. It is unrealistic to hope that the companies will "get it"
immediately regarding opening their hardware, and it's hopeless to get
the open source guys to agree to use proprietary vendor-supplied
profiling software. So my idea is to at least have clean and open
platform-agnostic and product-agnostic interfaces and then move things
a step further towards open drivers later on when the hardware guys
see that they are making sales to open-source clients.

If anyone here wants to chat to me about it, I'd be very happy. The
point of course is to create an instrument interface  definition that
would be completely open and documented.

Edmund