[Openicc] Xorg low level buffers - colour conversion

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Sun Mar 9 06:11:54 PDT 2008

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> My understanding is that CUDA is for using the GPU to do general purpose work
> such as math and science work.

Obviously, but IMO we have two potential use cases:

   1. Do the color transformation from e.g. working space to monitor
      space in the graphics card (by a fragment shader program), when
      displaying images on the monitor (I guess this would require that
      applications (like image viewers, editors, etc.) use OpenGL for
      displaying the image, and not "regular" X11 library calls, except
      if the X11 library and the X server would be extended to support
      color management, i.e. to accept images (and other objects) in
      color spaces different from the native monitor color space)

   2. Do a GPU-aided color transformation only, without actually
      displaying the resulting image on the monitor (e.g. for printing,
      etc.), and IMO this is basically a general purpose application of
      the GPU.

> Besides CUDA is not GPU agnostic and what we
> are talking about doing will be on systems with X11 and OpenGL.

Seems to be Nvidia only?

On www.gpgpu.org which Tom suggested as reading material, I also found a
link to Brook (http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/). So I'm
wondering, what about Brook? The examples suggest that Brook streams are
pretty easy to use .

Regards,
Gerhard