[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Nov 13 20:51:17 PST 2009

On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> Gutenprint absolutely provides a true DeviceN color path (for Epson
> printers, at any rate).  We just don't have a reasonable vehicle for
> exposing it to end users.

Right, as a "halftone module" Gutenprint actually offers much more than most vendor solutions, however as a CUPS driver it has no way to expose this since no RIP filter supports more than 4 channels.

> I'm dubious of sRGB-only command sets for inkjet printers.  It
> artificially restricts the available gamut, and doesn't work if you
> use a medium other than that specified by the manufacturer.

Like it or not, you're going to see more sRGB/AdobeRGB-only devices in the future, even from Epson. Only the high-end printers will support a DeviceN mode that can be used by third-parties...