[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:44:14 PST 2009

Hi again -

Just a comment:

UnfortunatelyI think this Apple-centered discussion is  quite relevant
to color-managed printing decisions for Linux.

I believe the issues we are seeing on OS X at the moment reflect
updates to CUPS, by its main author and maintainer,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sweet_(programmer) who has joined
Apple. Clearly the necessities of printing as Apple sees them will now
impact Michael's work.

As CUPS is heavily employed on open source systems, the updates to
CUPS may impact Linux etc print systems in the future. If I'm right
about this the Linux and Gimp-print community are stakeholders in this
story, unless they plan to fork or abandon CUPS.  On the other hand as
CUPS is open source, it should be possible to go in and fix the
present Mac mess without doing any reverse engineering.

Edmund