[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Nov 14 20:21:06 PST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 1:44 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> Hi again -
>
> Just a comment:
>
> UnfortunatelyI think this Apple-centered discussion is  quite relevant
> to color-managed printing decisions for Linux.
>
> I believe the issues we are seeing on OS X at the moment reflect
> updates to CUPS, by its main author and maintainer,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sweet_(programmer) who has joined
> Apple. Clearly the necessities of printing as Apple sees them will now
> impact Michael's work.

Thanks for the FUD.

> As CUPS is heavily employed on open source systems, the updates to
> CUPS may impact Linux etc print systems in the future. If I'm right
> about this the Linux and Gimp-print community are stakeholders in this
> story, unless they plan to fork or abandon CUPS.  On the other hand as
> CUPS is open source, it should be possible to go in and fix the
> present Mac mess without doing any reverse engineering.

OK, so aside from a very small amount of glue (basically the cupsICCProfile keywords in the printer PPD files), nothing in CUPS is tied to how Mac OS X does color management. CoreGraphics and ColorSync are responsible for implementing and supporting the Mac OS X color management system, not CUPS.