[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Nov 19 13:12:59 PST 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 2:07 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> Then, please Michael, can you tell us how to get CS4 and Preview to
> print untagged (targets etc) *reliably* on pro Epsons *today* ? Or
> could you release a simple fix that would allow us to do that?
> Many of us save print files for a given printer in untagged  -eg.I
> save  composite images created to compare various gamut mappings-
> directly to untagged, and print there.

Apologies for the delay in responding, but I wanted to make sure I had all of my information straight.

First, here is an article that started serious investigations within Apple:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml

This article includes a workaround for the problem, which is a combination of CS4 and Epson driver bugs that also show up on Leopard (10.5) if you use the latest Epson driver there.  The workaround (use AdobeRGB as a working space and the ColorSync profile in the print dialog) will also work in Preview, although there you just tweak the profile in the print dialog.

In any case, we are working with both vendors to get an actual fix for this and are looking at ways to "idiot-proof" this color path so that we don't get this problem again.  We're also adding this particular use case to our standard testing so we can better catch target printing problems before releasing new drivers via Software Update.