[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

Ann L McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Tue Jan 18 08:54:44 PST 2011

Hi Jan-Peter,

The metadata approach, with the publicly available repository hosted on
the ICC site, is established so that there can be a general and universal
solution to this long-standing problem.
The PPD approach works only in certain environments. In addition, the
color selectors are severely limited in the current PPD definition and
extending the PPD structure to accommodate the additional color selectors
is problematic.
The advantage of the metadata approach is that the information is provided
in a way that does not depend on which workflow, or which print format, or
which operating environment, and then the information can be used in a
variety of ways, proprietary or open, in these different situations.

This is a good discussion you have started and I too am interested to hear
the opinions on this, particularly as the ICC Automated Workflow WG which
I chair is leading the metadata work in the ICC.

Best regards,
Ann McCarthy
Imaging Systems R&D
Lexmark International, Inc.

Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de>
Sent by: openicc-bounces+almccart=lexmark.com at lists.freedesktop.org
01/18/2011 11:26 AM
Please respond to
homann at colormanagement.de

OpenICC Liste <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>
cc

Subject
[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

Hello to all,

During the discussion started with colord, one important topic is the
association of an icc profile to a printer driver setting.

Currently, it seems to me, that we have following possibilities:

1) PPD colour keywords:
The PPD for a given printer must be able, to describe all color relevant
driver settings with all parameters (incl. low level driver settings if
necessary)
an ICC profile will be assigned to a proper parametrized PPD and the PPD
will completely set up the color options in the printer driver.

2) Driver settings implemented as metadata-information into the
ICC-profile
Like with the PPD-workflow, all color relebant printer driver settings
are stored as metadata into the ICC-profile. The printer driver must be
able to extract this information from the ICC profile and will be
completely setup by the ICC-profile itself.

3) serialized driver settings
The driver settings are able to be serialized (which optimally able to
be exported and imported)
The ICC-profile will be associated with the serial ID of the driver
setting.

It would be interesting to know, which of these ways are preferred by
the community.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--