[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Jan 18 16:38:08 PST 2011

edmund ronald wrote:
>   XML editing with a text editor is easy.

I disagree - XML is a horrible format for human comprehension.

>   Why would it be preferable to have tags in a profile that contain
> driver information, rather than have an XML file that contains an
> embedded profile?

Because it's compact, and quite easily read and written by computer ?
Because the code to read and write ICC profile tags is already present,
and there's no need to introduce another separate library to
do a similar thing ? (You certainly don't want users to have to use a
text editor to configure the printer!)

This is a separate technical argument though, to the issue you raised of
the ICC being a "Club".