[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:41:33 PST 2011

On Monday, January 24, 2011 10:40:42 am Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 24 January 2011 18:01, Hal V. Engel <hvengel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OpenPrinting in conjunction with Peter Skilling (Peter is also the person
> > who is working with GIMP on it's UI) has a nice printing UI designed as
> > part of it's Common Printing Dialog project.  Unfortunately work on the
> > CPD is at a standstill because of funding short falls.
>
> Right. My personal view is that the open printing stuff needs to be
> pushed into a proper desktop stack like Qt and/or GTK+, but then I'm a
> toolkit kinda guy.

I agree with this.  Currently the prototype CDP UIs are for KDE including the
use of some KDE specific widgets and GNOME.  I have not looked at the GNOME
version so I don't know how much of it is making GNOME specific calls.  I think
the correct approach, particularly now that KDE, as of version 4, no longer
has it's own print dialog (IE. it always uses the Qt print widget/dialog) is
to stay as DE agnostic as possible.  I think the OpenPrinting folks are open
to going this direction.  Having looked at the KDE version the KDE specific
stuff would only take a few hours of work to replace with Qt widgets.