[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 26 14:34:01 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Scott Geffert wrote:

> I think that this is forward thinking as very few devices today (other than printing presses) are smaller than sRGB, and as Chris points out while eciRGB is slightly larger than AdobeRGB, many devices today and more down the road will be capable of even wider gamut than these spaces so whatever method offers the most direct path would be the logical course.

And actually, even more of an issue for manufacturers than the gamut issue, is the variability in displays. We're talking about a wide variety of technologies, various kinds of LED, OLED, MOLED, LCD with different backlights and filters. It makes more sense for efficiency and time to market if they can locate what they want, and instead of having to force it to behave in a certain way in hardware, to simply measure it, burn that into EDID, and expect the basic operating system (the window server) to do display compensation.

Chris