[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Jan 28 01:28:44 PST 2011

Am 28.01.11, 19:18 +1100 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> The net-color spec is designed to friendly coexist with the
>> _ICC_PROFILE in X spec. I do not see different renderings of old style
>> CM aware applications outside thier capabilities inside sRGB. I test
>> with various colour managed applications and various rendering paths.
>> Colour server (CompICC) aware applications do utilise a larger gamut if
>> available for colours exceeding sRGB.
>
> Example of the problem: calibration and profiling the display won't work
> properly, because dispcal/dispread will see an sRGB display, rather than
> the native one.

Agreed, applications which need the native gamut to work should actively
opt-out.
For calibration and profiling exist two paths to do properly. Use the
opt-out capabilities of libXcm[1] specified in the net-color spec[2] or
switch CompICC manually off.

[1] http://www.oyranos.org/scm?p=xcolor.git;a=commitdiff;h=62b031766792dccc4487919fa18f2a632b154fc5
[2] http://www.oyranos.org/scm?p=xcolor.git;a=blob;f=docs/net-color-spec