[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:03:18 PST 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011 03:13:39 pm Jon Cruz wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Jon Cruz wrote:
> >> I know that in the past I've discussed this with X people (including
> >> Keith Packard) and had it explained that the place for color management
> >> the way we're looking at it was most likely not in the display server.
> >>
> >> When asked briefly again the other day, Keith stated that the management
> >> abilities currently in X11 will be made present in the post-X solution
> >> they're looking at.
> >
> > I don't know exactly what all that means. I just want to make sure
> > there's some understanding that to do system wide color management that
> > normalization to a single color space encoding in order to do
> > compositing (combining all of these different sources, and then
> > outputting them to a display or displays) is required. There are very
> > simple ways to do this: single display, low performance hardware implies
> > you would want a single conversion directly into the compositing space
> > and that compositing space would be Display RGB so you don't have to do
> > a second conversion for display compensation, they're combined in one
> > step.
> >
> > But this is obviously not ideal for multiple display setups. Which
> > display is Display RGB? You don't really want applications having to be
> > aware of which display they have to convert to. You also don't want them
> > converting to a clunky 8bpc small gamut intermediate space like sRGB,
> > only for it to be converted yet again for display compensation, let
> > alone composited with other content that's not necessary sRGB or 8bpc.
>
> FYI, the video of Keith's talk on post-X, etc. is now online
>
> X and the future of Linux Graphics
> http://linuxconfau.blip.tv/file/4693305/

At the very end of this he was asked "How does this affect color management?"
He said some things about "true color" mode, I think meaning 8bpc, and not
talking at all about color management at least as we would understand that
term.  In affect saying if we are using 8bpc color then there is nothing left
to do for color.  Either he just does not want to deal with the issue or he
does not understand the issue.  I am not sure which.

The other interesting thing is he says that with the new architecture they do
not know what to do with plug ins for the composting system and he in affect
said that using composting plug ins was "crazy".   In the past he said that CM
really belonged in the composting layer.  But the only way to do that
presently is to create a plug in.  So where does that leave us?  If plug ins
are going away that means we need to somehow get CM into the core composting
software.  How do we make that happen and how long will that take?

I found the last few minutes of this talk depressing.  I wish that were not
the case.