[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Jan 28 23:10:25 PST 2011

CM> I don't know a whole lot about PJL, but if it's this kind of PJL:
CM> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Job_Language

CM> That would seem to be inferior to JDF.

The idea was to be compatible with lasers and such.  I've not seen any
printers which support JDF, but all of the ones which support pcl (w/
or w/o ps or pdf) seem to use PJL to control options and specify jobs'
languages.  (The PPDs for cups mostly use ps and setpagedevice, but
would need to use PJL were they to send pdf to the printer.)

But a job ticket of some sort is better than just raw pdf.

-JimC