[Openicc] Linux CM ideology, was: meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 2 09:59:46 PST 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> edmund ronald wrote:
>> is just a tool for more Xterms :) . But I think Google would get it,
>> that devices are multimedia devices and image color like sound is
>> important. Maybe approaching the Android team at this point might make
>> sense - they know that at some point Android is going to be the
>> multimedia device OS.
>
> I highly doubt it. So far, Google has shown zero awareness of color.
> I would guess that they will leave it to the platforms to sort out
> any "issues with their displays".

I agree, but this is really untenable in the current 9 month product cycle they are in. They are changing panels and products even mid-stream production. There's so much demand to get stuff out, and materials are so different that they actually can't make them behave like sRGB. It's not a gamut size issue, it's the shape due to different primaries.

And that means we really need good perceptual mapping from two incongruent spaces and it needs to be fast. AFAIK we don't really have that right now.

But what will bail them out is not a color management solution for mobile in the next 9-27 months, it will be that the market can't keep absorbing such rapid changes. It's too expensive. So once things slow down, maybe the supply chains will stabilize and become more consistent again.

So while I agree with Graeme that Google has shown zero awareness of color, I think they should be more aware of color. Maybe like an alien invasion I wouldn't like what they come up with, but they have a lot of resources and for something like color, they'd may very well put it into everything and then give it away for free.

Chris