[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place... (CUPS and ColorSync)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon Feb 7 16:51:42 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Jan-Peter Homann
<homann at colormanagement.de>wrote:

> But we still should consider, that the described workflow has some critical
> points.
> If all parts of the PDF should be converted to the profile of the printer
> setting by embedding this profile as Output Intent into the PDF file, it is
> mandatory, that every PDF-object is a ICCbasedRGB or ICCbasedCMYK object.

OutputIntent doesn't convert anything.  It serves two purposes in PDF/X,
PDF/A and PDF/E - and NO PURPOSE  in a standard PDF (since the spec says it
should be ignored).   The two uses are:
- Destination Profile for the target device (should you need to retarget)
- Source Profile for any DeviceXXX colored object(s)

> If a PDF file contains DeviceRGB or DeviceCMYK objects, ColorSync will
> change such PDF objects automatically and without warning to ICCbased mainly
> by embedding e.g. the ColorSync standard profiles in every PDF object
> (images, vector graphics, text...)

Apple/Quartz/ColorSync doesn't change anything UNLESS you explicitly ask it
to.  What it does, however, is ensure that all objects are tagged with
profiles (with explicitly or implicitly) - which is EXACTLY what PDF/X-3,
PDF/X-4, PDF/A and PDF/E do...

> Because of this, graphic art users under Mac OSX avoid the Mac OSX function
> "Save as PDF" from the Apple printing dialogue.

Doing a "Save as PDF" does _NOT_ run stuff through ColorSync UNLESS the user
has turned on that option (a VERY unusual case!)

Leonard