[Openicc] Is CUPS the right place for printer color management...

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon Feb 7 19:41:39 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> Which is pretty much what the  Adobe Creative apps (and Acrobat) do.  We
> bypass Quartz and CUPS as much as possible...
>

> Everything eventually goes through Quartz and CUPS if you're printing to a
> printer with a Mac OS X print driver, except for PostScript which will avoid
> the Quartz part, but is still managed through the print pipeline with CUPS.

True enough, though with Postscript you avoid many problems.

> Photoshop and Lightroom, every single print job goes through Quartz and
> CUPS, and is subject to the problems with color that Edmund is referring to
> avoiding on Linux. And on InDesign, every print job to a non-PostScript
> printer becomes a PDF print spool file that is subject to secondary
> screening by Quartz and ColorSync.

I am almost 100% sure that InDesign (and Illustrator) does the same thing
that Acrobat does when printing to a non-PS printer on Mac OS X...Generate a
RASTER IMAGE and send that to print.  We have to, because Quartz can't
handle the same complex PDFs (and imaging model in general) that our apps
can.   So the only choice we have is raster.

Leonard