[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Feb 8 06:24:06 PST 2011

Robert Krawitz wrote:
> There could well be a lot of profiles on the system: a reasonable
> combination of paper types and resolutions for a lot of printers
> (assuming that we were to crowdsource and bundle a lot of profiles
> with Gutenprint, or offer a gutenprint-profiles package).  I'm not
> sure exactly how many it would work out to be, but 10 different paper
> types at, say, 3 or 4 resolutions each multiplied by however many
> classes of printers we have.

Right, but how many would be installed (ie. the "current"
profile for a device), as opposed to being on disk somewhere,
where the user might choose to install them ?

(And I'm not convinced about your numbers. Even when we had
someone making profiles as a full time job, we didn't end
up with more than a handful to a dozen of profiles per device.
We found that the only practical way of covering a large number of
combinations of ink/paper/settings is actually calibration + a smaller
number of profiles.)