[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 8 19:00:50 PST 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:39:18 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I was thinking of the portion of the interface that Gutenprint does
> not control or affect. The part where you select printers (queues),
> and also presets. So the Gutenprint issue is of course related to
> all of the UI questions, but it's also a separate thing than making
> a print dialog more organized. Keep in mind I'm coming from a Mac OS
> mentality: OS provides queues and presets and some panels like
> number of copies, paper source (tray), mirroring, rotation, and then
> the printer PPD provides printer specific options.

CUPS provides much the same thing on Linux.

> I still think the enthusiast is better off with a commercial product
> than building something for a (market potential wise) a small number
> of people that requires a lot of engineering effort to make it more
> presentable to such a workflow. Maybe I'm wrong on these counts.

Commercial closed-source products don't allow you to mess around
inside if it doesn't quite do what you want (and I've seen some people
want to do some really oddball things, like put very strange chemicals
into the ink tanks -- basically repurpose inkjet printers to do some
funky chemistry).  And you're at the mercy of the vendor if it decides
to drop support for the software.  <shrug>So we have a philosophical
difference...</shrug>