[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 8 22:53:35 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:05 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> You hope they don't get corrupted, but if perchance they do (system
> crash at just the wrong time), you have a better chance of recovering
> a text file, even an ugly text file like JSON.  And if I need someone
> to send me something for debugging, I'm a lot better off with that
> text file.

We may be talking about different things. The export of a subset of this database very well may best be JSON. Typically one doesn't export either a whole database to transport settings to another machine, or even export a subset of it in database format. It's usually exported as some other, more interoperable, file format. Very possibly human readable.

Unless I had some way of getting support for such a database, whether JSON or SQL, I personally would have an equal chance of recovering the data because in either event, I would sooner toss the database and rebuild it than go digging into a data file. And if it persisted in corrupting itself so often that I'd have to consider becoming familiar with reading and fixing it myself, I would simply stop using it.