[Openicc] Linux CM ideology .. Linux CM proposal

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 8 22:59:08 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> As for cross platform support ICM and ColorSync provide these capabilities, seems like
>> versions of this idea we're talking about for those platforms can just inquire with
>> ColorSync instead of having to invent a solution for that platform. Since profiles can
>> be kept anywhere in the filesystem, there's no consistent location you can depend on
>> searching to find all available profiles. You'd have to inquire with ColorSync anyway.
>
> Sure, but the point is exactly to create a Unix like equivalent to the basic service
> that ColorSync provides - finding a profile for a given device. And it would
> be nice to do it in a way that covers any non MSWin, non OS X operating system,
> so that things like Linux, Android and anything else anyone creates is covered.

Absolutely. I was referencing an earlier comment from Kai-Uwe regarding the engineering of something that is not cross platform, only for Linux. I was assuming the solution would definitely be other than Win/Mac, but if it's also going to be Win/Mac then at least on Mac OS X there's another consideration which is that this has already been done, "simply" subscribe to the service.

>> For ICM, it may be possible to avoid using such a service because I think all profiles
>> are always kept in a single directory and alternates aren't even possible.
>
> I suspect that WCS is a bit more sophisticated than that.

No, it originally depended on WinFS, but since that was killed, the variable location of profiles was shot down and still all are expecting in a single directory. So a whole bunch of stuff regarding WCS got really paired down to just transforms, and the profile management stuff is still all done by ICM. If ICM encounters WCS  profiles in any profile in the chain, then the entire transform is pass off onto WCS. Even for legacy apps that only know of ICM calls.

Chris