[Openicc] openicc Digest, Vol 59, Issue 47Camera Input Profiling etc.

Scott Geffert scottgeffert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:11:25 PST 2011

The comments about color on mobile devices, printing from mobile devices etc are very important and this comes back to my last post which was as Chris points out a bit of a wide net. My observation is that many on this forum hyper-focus on CMYK print or output-centric issues. I read "open ICC" as the ENTIRE ICC workflow. One can argue that the most precisely calibrated printer will only print the data sent to it ( garbage in, garbage out). I guess I hyper-focus on preventing "Garbage In" issues.

As today's digital content needs to flow into and through any and all media it is important that the treatment of color is as seamless and open as possible. From a content creator's perspective images text and illustrations need to flow from layouts to let's say PDFs that will need to display on the web, on multiple tablets and phones and may be printed on offset, or on-demand presses as well as end user printing from laptops and portable devices.

Here are just a few user communities that NEED accurate color:

Manufacturing
Advertising
Branding
Medical Imaging
Law Enforcement
Museums Galleries
Retailers
Automotive
Scientists
Geologists
Fashion
Printers
Digitization Vendors
Web developers
etc etc.

Accurate consistent color is incredibly important. As far as funding is concerned Google may be interesting as they are universally used as the example of color gone wrong and can benefit most from helping improve the situation. Just google image search ANY famous painting like "Vermeer Milkmaid". There are a handful of color correct versions and all of these can be traced back to a single profiled digital capture made several years ago. The rest are the victim of repurposing and subjective editing.

No matter how well this group experts crafts an open ICC workflow for display and output, the only way to improve overall quality is to improve the source content. My comments and concerns are only that the scope of efforts should encompass the entire workflow and should avoid components that are proprietary.

Scott