[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 05:46:08 PST 2011

I was talking to the ghostscript guys quite a lot yesterday about
changes required for platform icc integration. I'm sharing what I'm
doing here in case anyone else wants to give me a hand or has better
ideas to share.

The basic idea is to teach pstoraster, pdftoraster and foomatic a way
to get the best icc output profile for the printed document using
colord.
The input profiles and rendering intents ideally come from the PDF or
PS file, and colord doesn't get involved in this at all.

In a hope to understand the architecture I've drawn this diagram:
http://colord.hughsie.com/img/cups-plan.png -- corrections welcome.

What I've already done:

* Rewritten pstoraster from shell to C to allow me to use libdbus with
a mainloop
* Added code to pstoraster.c and pdftoraster.c to get the desired icc
profile from colord
* Set the device icc profile for gs >= 9.01

What needs to be done:

* Add code to foomatic to do the same. I'm no expert in perl, but DBus
has a pretty good DBus binding available.

Does this sound sane? Ideas and comments welcome. Thanks.

Richard