[Openicc] colord Printing Plans

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Feb 24 13:55:21 PST 2011

Am 24.02.11, 20:09 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:

> On 24 February 2011 19:32, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> When does CUPS display correction? In the Gnome file browser?
>
> Erm, no. CUPS doesn't do the display correction. colord has the policy
> which the session agent then applies. This has to be done in the session

This is wishful thinking. The session and a colour management policy are
separate concepts. The colour handling inside a session is bound to
several rules, which are independent to any policy agent. Take CUPS as an
example. If a user places a OutputIntent into a PDF/X file the policy is
bypassed. The same for a different spooling system or spooling format.
Below a more important example why your concept is flawed.

> as the system does not have access to Xorg. I'm not sure why the file
> browser would be involved.

It would be helpful you leave citation in tact.

>> CUPS has already a answere to server side profile configuration. It is the
>> cupsICCProfile. In case the PPD allows only to modify the three attributes
>> which colord uses as well, all work is done for server side profile
>> selection. You are introducing a redundant path for no benefit.
>
> At least on this system all the PPD files are managed by my packaging
> system, and editing those files isn't a good idea. I shouldn't be

There are more packaged configuration files, which need to be edited. This
argument mixes two separate issues and does not apply.

> editing PPD files to change the default printer profile, just like I
> shouldn't be editing xorg.conf for a display profile.

The comparision is moot. It brings us too few, to place the ICC
configuration in xorg.conf. So no one cares about xorg.conf here.
In contrast the PPD is remotely visible through CUPS.
So there is no reason, I am aware of, why to place one more path
alongside CUPS for administrator side ICC profile configuration. What
would be if an other CMS would start playing this game too. We would end
with three four five ways to configure the CUPS server side profile. All
in different UIs and systems. Thats chaos.

>> Postscript is done. Why spent time on that?
>
> We still use the PS workflow in Fedora.

How long?