[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 05:39:48 PST 2011

On 28 February 2011 09:09, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> I think as well this format can set colord under pressure to deliver more
> than a three qualifier rule for user supplied profiles. This will bring us a
> more robust automated profile selection.

More options != robust.

> The colord author appears to
> consequently ignore this demand and insist on pushing his flawed model.

The flawed qualifier rule is specified by CUPS already:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/spec-ppd.html and is
already used in ColorSync. Anything more complicated would need a much
more complex model for matching, which is something that I do not
think is required.

So if you think that it's flawed, that's fine, I don't think it's
perfect either. I just know it works.

Richard.

[1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html