[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 2 15:48:38 PST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> A user setable switch in the user land software (like the CPD) could be something that always defaults to  "Make my colours pretty" and must be set each time a user wants "leave my colours the hell alone" since the latter is used very rarely.  That is it should be setup so that a "normal user" can't set this and then end up wondering why he/she is getting bad results from that point on.  After all the "leave my colours the hell alone" option is for users that have an understanding of color management and at some point CM aware apps (GIMP, Krita, InkScape...) should be producing well formed PDF spool files.

Should these applications be able to sent a "token" with their print job that automatically sets the CPD to "no color management" automatically to prevent a default condition of double color management?

>  Also it should be OK for "leave my colours the hell alone" print jobs to fail if there are issues down stream like sending a DeviceRGB object to a printer set in CMYK mode or having more than one DeviceXXX type (IE. DeviceRGB and DeviceGary) in the PDF file.

While I agree in theory, in practice anyone who tries this feature, which they will if it is not hidden and only viewable with a secret keyboard combination, will still expect a print to come out. Not an obscure error related to color mode mismatches. So this behavior would seem to require a clear error message. "User is confused. Please try again with color management enabled, or matching document and printer color modes."