[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 3 14:36:25 PST 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 3:04 PM, James Cloos wrote:

> CM> For PostScript you don't have OutputIntent, so how do you
> CM> differentiate for PostScript?
>
> It SHOULD be done the same way it is currently done for postscript
> printers:  an option in the PPD to specify what profile should be
> used for DeviceRGB.
>
> The nearest PPD to me has:
>
>    Image RGB Source:    None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>    Image RGB Intent:    Business *Picture Proof Match
>    Text RGB Source:     None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>    Text RGB Intent:     *Business Picture Proof Match
>    Graphics RGB Source: None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>    Graphics RGB Intent: *Business Picture Proof Match

I'm just shaking my head...I don't have a coherent response to a PPD that looks like such utter bollocks.

> None does C=1-R, M=1-G, Y=1-B; there are separate options to control
> whether CMY or K is used for DeviceRGB gray, the Halftone detail and
> edge enhancement (akin to anti-aliasing for lasers).
>
> That pdd also supports a simulation profile for DeviceCMYK:
>
>    Simulation Profile: None *SWOP Euroscale Commercial DIC TOYO
>
> Using ghostscript as a RIP essentially creates a printer every bit as
> capable as a mid-range business laser.  The user experience should be
> at least as good.

I hope not at least as hideous and fakaked of a workflow as this ridiculous PPD is implying to me.

If this is a common PPD, we have our work cut out for us on another front which is what options should and and should not appear in PPDs.